Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 6th: Antakya to Istanbul

 This was my breakfast every morning in Antkya. I know, it doesn't look that attractive, but I am a "hash kind of guy."

 I would take mixed olives, wild greens ,and hummus.

 I would mix them with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, and sometimes a hard boiled egg, and there you have it - an unattractive but delicious mess.

 As the bus was leaving our hotel for the airport, the girls spotted the cute Swedish photographer. They ran out of the bus and asked for his autograph. It was very cute.

 Erdin, our bus driver. He was with us for 18 days. He spoke no English, but communicated his joy through his amazing spirit. Every morning he would ask me in Turkish how I was doing. I would reply that I was well. Then he would ask, "Bomba?" which I found out meant "bomb," slang for "Great!"

 View from my hotel window, across the water towards the Asia side of Istanbul (the only city to span two continents)

The flight to Istanbul was uneventful. The drive from the airport to town was slow with all the traffic. As we entered the city, we followed this long water-side park. I don't think I have ever seen so many people. All 14 million Istanbul residents (and a few tourists) were picnicking and playing and just hanging out on the grass along the water. It went on for miles.

 Our hotel is incredibly situated in the heart of Sultanehmet, the historical and tourist center of Istanbul. We went out exploring in dinner groups. I talked my group into heading towards the harbor, where there is a lot of "street food" - my favorite.

 First we had roasted chestnuts

 cool beard

 My dinner group, with Yeni Mosque in the distance

 Just beyond Yeni Mosque is the harbor, where the Turks hang out and eat.

 Some of us had fish sandwiches, cooked here on this boat. Others hand donor kabab.

Next we had corn on the cob, either boiled or roasted.

 As the sun was setting, with Yeni mosque in the background, I found this an amazing place to photograph people. the light was perfect, and everyone thought I was photographing the mosque.

  



For dessert, these delicious fresh donuts, covered in a sweet rose water syrup (similar to the Indian dessert, gulab jamun, but much lighter and crispier).

On the way back to the hotel for our evening meeting, we ventured into the courtyard of Yeni Mosque. The carved Arabic calligraphy, as well as all the spectacular detail, blew us away.


This evening was a nice introduction to Istanbul

May 7th:
I know other important things are happening in the world. I woke up early this morning to check Twitter results for the High school Ultimate tournament in Massachusetts, where my son Natan is playing. The Fryz went through the first round on Saturday and Sunday with four very lopsided wins. They then beat Paideia (their biggest national rival from Atlanta) on universe point, 10-9, in the Semifinals. The finals was not such a nail-biter, as the Fryz won 15-7 against host team Amherst. Congratulations Fryz! The Fryz were ranked the number one high school team in the nation last year. I imagine that ranking will continue after this tournament.

The Fryz girls team made it undefeated to the finals as well, but then lost to Amherst in the finals. Great effort girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment