Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June 25th: Last Day in Bangkok

Great last day in Bangkok. It started with a morning walk, liver on a stick in spicy Thai sauce, and a quiet space at a beautiful wat.

Wat bells
I went with Sheila to a new section of town: Phaya Thai. I think this is what Bangkok used to be like: quiet soys (small streets), friendly people, great street food.

little boy I met on the street who I taught to use my camera, and who laughed and laughed
his grandmother who laughed as I took her picture
vegetable cart
While Sheila was at her hair dresser, I wandered through the district. I found a town within the town along the railroad tracks - little places to eat, small businesses, tin houses with no windows. Amidst all the wealth of Bangkok it is easy to forget that there are poor people living desperate lives.

railway shantytown laundry
woman near the rail road tracks cutting fruit
durian
big pot near the railroad tracks
We went to another area of town for lunch - Sheila's favorite South Indian restaurant - idli, sambar, vada, and coconut chutney. I went back to my favorite street stall for more squid - cooked with just chilies and basil. That is all. That is all it needs (except for more chilies).

Tomorrow we head to Luang Prabang, Laos.

best squid
June 26th: I got up early and noticed the street carts people were already setting up. So 5:30 am I sat next to a klong (small waterway), and drank a cup of coffee (12 baht - about 20 cents). There was a slight breeze and a trickily, water sound in the klong - a nice way to start this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment