Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wat Po and Chatuchak











How to describe Wat Po? This is the third time I have been here, but the most impactful. Wat Po is where the Reclining Buddha is housed, the largest reclining Buddha in the world. There are no words to describe it, so I think I will not try. And the few pictures I've inserted can not do it justice.

There is a walking meditation you can do at Wat Po. You take a cup of coins, and drop them, one by one, in metal bowls which line the length of the Wat. It put me in such a personal, contemplative space, that when I walked to the next building, I forgot to tell Noah where I was going. After about a half an hour, I went to find him. I searched for another half hour before giving up. I had some degree of confidence that he could find his way home. And sure enough, he was reading in our hotel room whading in our hotel room when I arrived. This gave me more confidence about our future travels together, as he longs for more independence. Noah has missed talking to people his own age. We've talked about staying in different hotels so he can have more independent experiences. He thinks he is ready to do that in India.

Besides going to Wat Po in the late afternoon yesterday, we also went to Chatuchak, one of the largest weekend markets in the world. We spent a good part of the day theregood part of the day there. Traveling for a year frees me from shopping. My pack is already too heavy. I spent a long time nursing an ice coffee while Noah explored the 10,000 stalls.

1 comment:

  1. Robert I'm loving reading your writing and looking at the pictures. Thank you for taking us along with you.

    with love,
    ashley

    ReplyDelete