Friday, April 16, 2010

4/15 and 4/16: Cameron Highlands

Hill View Inn, where I am staying. Cameron Highlands has a lot of British architecture. It is a very developed tourist destination. You can even get scones and jam for breakfast, if you want. But there is also good Indian food, so I am sticking with my roti telor.

Yesterday I went searching for the beginning of the jungle path to the water fall. After getting lost for an hour, I finally found it. I came across a man on the path, his back to me peeing. So we became friends. His name is Simpson, from Great Britain, though he lived in Australia for 40 years, and has now lived in Cameron Highlands for 12 years. He is 76 years old, and recently remarried to a woman from Sumatra. Besides children and grandchildren from his first married, he now has a new three year old girl.

We walked and talked together for one and a half hours, and to this beautiful evening view.

Today I went to Sungai Palas Boh Tea Estates. There is something so attractive about the tea plants, which seem to carpet the hillsides.






Laundry and tea plants

Tomorrow I head back to KL and Seri Puteri School for my last two days in Malaysia. On Monday I will fly to Vietnam, arriving there a day before my students.

1 comment: