Thursday, April 29, 2010

4/28: Kindergarten and lantern making

On the bike ride to our lantern making lesson, Ha stopped us at a kindergarten. The teachers were so happy to welcome us into their classrooms. In each classroom we entered, the students sang us a song, and then we played with the students for a little while.



After that we rode to the lantern making factory. This is Luca with the lantern that he made. On the way back to our hotel, we also stopped at a rice field and saw how the rice was cut and separated from the stalk.

Banana flower

Banana flower salad - very delicious!

This is our last day in Hoian. Tomorrow we reenter the world of buses, and visit My Son, the site of the ancient Cham ruins, and then bus to Hue, the ancient capitol of Vietnam.

At our evening meeting, students brainstormed strategies for dealing with conflicts which inevitably arise when being with each other 24-7:
"Sometimes I get fed up with people for the smallest reasons. If I take a break, read a book, then it takes my mind off of it, and helps me to put things in perspective."

"I am not the type of person that gets angry easily, but when I do, I get really angry. I've learned to recognize the signs when I am starting to get upset, so I take a break before it gets worse."

"Counting silently to three really helps me to calm down."

"If you let things build up, it can get bad, so talk about it first, before it builds up."

"Going somewhere and being alone really helps me."

"We've been put into a lot of different groups - chaperone groups, lesson groups, random dinner groups. Being around a different set of people really helps me because I am not around the same set of people all the time."

"People get upset about different things, so communicate with your room mate, let her know what your tendencies are."

Talk to your room mate about your issues, for your room mate might not know what he is doing that is upsetting you."

"If you need space, let your room mate know. Use your room for your own personal space for a short while."

"The person at the receiving end needs to realize that it is not person, you just need some space."

"I don't like to be alone when I get upset. Going out and doing something helps to distract me from whatever was bothering me."

"Take three steps back, either literally or metaphorically."

"Sometimes I image the conversation I would have, then I image my friend's response, and how I would reply. The conversation in my head helps me to realize how unreasonable I'm being."

"Make an effort to not do the small things that upset the other person."

"Confrontation is not always bad, it can be good, as long as it doesn't turn into a cat fight."

"If you are having an issue with someone, write it down. Sometimes you get clearer when you spend some time writing. Then, if you can't resolve it, you can also ask your friend to read what you wrote."

No comments:

Post a Comment