Thursday, September 10, 2009

Connections

Walking into town this morning I truly saw where I was (which is an interesting phenomenon, these different degrees of seeing).

A little boy with a dirty shirt singing a song as I passed
A man at his tangerine stall, stacking his fruit, one by one
a cafe/sweetshop with a large tin covered with bees
A goat scratching its head on a metal gate
A young boy carrying his infant sibling
This is a remarkable opportunity I have.

I met a Danish man yesterday who is working here building another Tibetan monastery. He sat at my table as if it was the most natural thing in the world to do. And it was. He spoke of his project, of his understanding of reality which he learned from Tibetan Buddhism, of the project's difficulties dealing with the Indian authorities, of the joy in life that Indians seem to hold. And then he left. I don't even know his name, but the impression he made in that half an hour while he drank chai, was remarkable. His life was so full of joy as well.

I think of my quotes which I shared in my blog yesterday:
"It's not about letting go of attachments, but holding them more gently."
"We do not have to improve ourselves; we just have to let go of what blocks our heart." (Jack Kornfield)
"Wholeness does not mean perfection; it means embracing brokenness as an integral part of life." (Parker Palmer)

These "truths" are so significant to me, for it is so difficult to accept what is, but also how it is the essence of our being. For through acceptance comes love (in the most general and specific terms) - living with an open heart. I hope they are more than just words, thoughts. When I truly feel them in my being, I feel so connected to everything and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment