Saturday, September 26, 2009

9/26: Nagarkot

I don't know how far Bhaktapur is from Kathmandu. I remember a half hour bus ride 30 years ago, but it took 75 minutes with all the traffic. In Bhaktapur we walked to the Nagarkot bus stand, found a mini-bus totally full, even the roof was filling up with Nepalis. The bus behind it was full as well, so we climbed on the roof of the first bus, which was scheduled to leave in five minutes. I counted 34 people on top of the bus, and at least as many inside. Riding on top was really pleasant, though you do have to watch out for low branches and electrical wires. And then it started to rain. And then it started to REALLY rain. The bus stopped to allow people to go inside. Noah pulled out his umbrella and we stayed on top.

In Kathmandu, before we left, many CD shops were playing this chant of "Om mani padme hum." I kept that chant going all day long. I especially appreciated it on top of the bus in the rain. The little boys to my right were shivering, as was the old man to my left. I wanted to put my arm around him to share my body warmth, but I didn't. Noah was miserable, but I was fine, even happy, obliviously humming my chant. After about a half hour the rain stopped, and soon after that we were in Nagarkot.

We were thinking to stay in Nagarkot for one, maybe two days. We ended up staying for three days. It rained and stayed cloudy every day. Only on the fourth day, did it clear up and we had spectacular views of the Himalayas.
From on top of the bus - 34 people in total


View from our hotel deck


Mr. Tom, my new friend



A really long worm - Noah thinks we need some of these in the U.S.


The village of Kattike - our first day walk

No comments:

Post a Comment