Monday, September 14, 2009

9/14: Trust

"Why ponder thus the future to foresee,
And jade thy brain to vain perplexity?
Cast off thy care, leave Allah's plans to him -
He formed them all without consulting thee."
Omar Khayyum

Noah has been having such a hard time with all the fake friendliness of the Indians, for it almost always comes around to them wanting something or having something to sell.

It is trust that has been violated - trust in the good will of brothers, and that good will is being exploited. It is a terrible thing to violate, for trust is the essential connection when two people meet. For what is left when you cannot trust?

1 comment:

  1. The fake friendliness is an interesting issue. Thomas Merton says the cycle of our learning is from innocence to experience to innocence. We innocently believe that the friendliness is genuine, our experience grows when we discover there is an ulterior motive, how then do we return to innocence? Beneath the shuck and jive of the touts is a human heart, and sometimes, albeit rarely, the humanity overwhelms the need to take your money. I was at Fatephur Sikri outside Agra, and not feeling well. I sat, inside the monument, in the shade, and the touts surrounded me. I asked them to please leave me alone as I was not well. Compassion broke through. They found me a blanket to recline on, brought me a Coke, and sat around me until Reggie returned from her sight-seeing and it was time to leave. They walked us to the exit and we all said goodby with bows and handshakes.

    ReplyDelete