Thursday, October 29, 2009

10/29: Amritsar and the Gang

So, I was having lunch at this little stand on the street, where he makes these delicious chapatis which he bakes in the clay oven on his stand, when four young men from Mumbai sat down next to me. They are on vacation, heading up to Kashmir. they invited me to come see the evening Pakistani border gate closing ceremony, which I accepted. It turns out they are a gang of eight. They rented a little share taxi, and all nine 0f us piled in.
It was hard to remember all of their names, so they each got nicknames: Umesh (English teacher), me, Tsimal (criminal), Bharat (India country), Uttam (big boss), Mahindar (baby face), Rahul (actor), Kailash (God), and Vikash (comedian)

Every evening India and Pakistan do this orchestrated performance. It was somewhat like a high school football game, each side cheering their own team as loud as they can. It was a little unfortunate for the Pakistani side, for there were about eight million Indians on our side, and 12 Pakistanis on their side. Then the gates are opened, the soldiers do this funny, high stepping march. At one point one soldier from each side shakes hands, which I liked because there are some people in the crowds doing anti-Pakistani chants.



Me and my gang

Some other Indians who wanted there picture taken with me.
Later, after our taxi broke down and we had to wait for another one, we went out to dinner, then they had to rush to the bus station. they wouldn't let me pay for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment