Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10/13: Still on Pokhara

I first met Rajen and Lata on the first hour of our trek, walking up the million steps to Dhampus. Over the next 9 days we kept passing each other on the slopes, or meeting at tea houses or guest houses along the route to Annapurna base camp. I ran into them again last night while on a sunset walk on Phewa Lake, and then again this morning on my way in to town for coffee.

So I wondered, are things meant to be? Or, is everything just exactly as it is, and what we do with the opportunities we are given is what brings meaning to an event? Maybe that is the more important question. Things happen, sometimes within our control and often without. But how we interact/react to the situation is in our control. That is what defines who we are.

Noah once mentioned to me that his friends were writing to him how lucky he was to have this opportunity. And he responded to me, "It has nothing to do with luck. My friends and I are all lucky. But each person makes choices." He is a very wise young man (at times).

I know I am going to miss Noah when we separate next week (Noah is flying to Bangkok on Oct 19th, and I am flying to Delhi). I love hearing him talk (which he does all the time), and sharing our different perspectives. I don't know if he appreciates how he has grown and matured over the past two months. I appreciate what I have learned from him, and the closeness we have grown together. Many people along the way have commented to me on what a special opportunity this is for a father and son. I don't think I have always appreciated it. It is reflective moments like this when I do. I will make the most of our next week together.

I opened up my list of quotes and the first one that popped out to me was one by Don Miguel Ruiz. "The word is like a seed, and the human mind is so fertile! The only problem is that too often it is fertile for seeds of fear. . . . What is important is to see what kind of seeds our mind is fertile for, and to prepare it to receive the seeds of love."

Adyashanti also writes on fear and on love, though not necessarily the romantic sort of love, but living with open-heartedness. "Possibly the only fear greater than death is love, real love. . . . It is the love of unity, a love of seeing God wearing all the masks and recognizing itself in them all."

Rajen and Lata Kothari from Mumbai

No comments:

Post a Comment