Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nov 19: Teacher and Student

Today was my second full day of teaching. I have five math classes: one 6th grade, three 7th grade, and one 8th grade. I forgot how exhausting it is being "present" in this way.

Last night I decided to learn to cook Indian food, so I hung out with the cooks as they prepared dinner for 80 people. It took over two hours. We made paneer in a thick sauce, a chicken in spicy yogurt sauce (photo above), rice pulao, dahl, and about a million chapatis. We also had plain white rice, a salad of cucumbers, radishes and onions, and a dessert of noodles in a sweet creamy sauce. I understand why there are so many overweight Indians.

3 comments:

  1. A million chapatis, yum! Did you learn how to roll them out? Or do you pat them out with your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey C, new picture of you. I was the one who rolled the dough into balls, and there were two guys who rolled them out, and one guy who was baking them, so I had to work twice as fast as the rollers so that they didn't run out of balls to roll out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding on the caloric content. Ask them for a serving of Ras Malai - another one of those milk (curd) desserts. I actually got drunk on them once, though they contain no alcohol. It's part of the myth of rwells - my standing in a parking lot offering tastes of ras malai to passing Indians, who smiled benignly at the mad ferengi.

    ReplyDelete