Sunday, November 22, 2009

November 22: Why I walk

A couple of years ago I went to a workshop titled "Seeds of Compassion." In a small group discussion I told of my love of walking as a form of meditation: "I walk and walk and eventually I know why I am walking." One person commented how interesting it was to him that it wasn't about where I was walking to, but why I was walking.

This morning I went for a walk. I walked and walked and eventually I knew why I was walking - peace.

I wrote an essay maybe 15 years ago, trying to figure out why the Global Studies program at The Evergreen School, where I teach, was so important to me. The official line has something to do with "global citizenry" and "accepting and appreciating diversity." But I knew it was more than just that, for those goals were to what end? In the essay I wrote that it was about peace.

For the past few years I have been on an inner quest, trying to make sense of the reality I have created for myself. "Living for each moment, with an open heart" was about as close as I could come to articulating a path for myself. But today, I realized one step deeper, at least for myself. The point of an open heart is peace. Not just the outer peace that the word usually connotes to me, but also an inner peace.

So I have come full circle, and it feels true.


A Hindu Temple in Chandni Chowk

Boy and dog sitting on a huge bag of garbage

This photo is for you, Christy

goat, ducks and Mosque in Chandni Chowk

Mosque in Chandni Chowk

6 comments:

  1. yay, pomegranates! i had a whole pomegranate the other day for breakfast - they are very popular all of a sudden (because they are getting a lot of marketing for their antioxidant properties) and there was a huge pile of them at Whole Foods the last time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your thoughts and seeing your pictures. Your writings make me miss you so much.
    In the past, when we were in our own daily lives I didn't feel touched by you with your being far away (Seattle). We would go long periods without talking. It seemed normal. But when I read your writing I find I miss you but I am getting to know you in such a different way. It has been such a gift. Thank you for this.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaste, brother. Peace in deed.

    Two things: one, walking is the next best thing to doing nothing; and two, I've considered having a portion of my ashes scattered in Chandi Chowk - it's a glorious mess - the moonlit market, at one time one of the most beautiful streets in the world. Find the best naan in the narrow lanes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa, thanks for your very kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Richard for your recommendation to do there. It was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to type "go there," not "do there."

    ReplyDelete