Thursday, June 19, 2014

May 23rd: Our last full day in Vietnam

Our last street food diner: Vietnamese barbecue

Me with Ha and his wife Huong and two sons, Minh and Thanh

May 23rd: Our last full day in Vietnam
 The end of a trip is always bittersweet for me. I love travelling so much. It is hard for me when it is over. I woke up this morning at 4:30 am, and sat on my balcony just as the first light appeared in the sky. I thought to take a picture, but my camera lens fogged over. And I thought, “What a perfect metaphor for what I am feeling right now.” There is only so much an image can capture. There is only so much that words can express. They are never enough. They can never capture the whole image, or the entire array of thoughts and emotions. They are always incomplete.

Suffice it to say that it has been an amazing trip. I appreciate every moment. I am so grateful for this opportunity to spend this time with these students, to see them in such a different context, to witness their growth, to be there during an “a ha” moment, to broaden my context of who they are, and thus, who I am. What a blessing this has been for me. What a blessing these young people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment