Thursday, June 19, 2014

May 7th: Cooking Lesson

May 7th: Cooking Lesson
Yesterday my group went to their cooking lesson. First we were toured through the vegetable and meat markets, then went on a beautiful boat ride on the river to the cooking school. We learned to make fresh rice paper wrappers, fresh spring rolls, eggplant in clay pot, peanut sauce, green papaya and mango salad, Hoian savory pancakes, and vegetable art with cucumbers and tomatoes. It was really fun and delicious. On the boat ride the students were allowed to drive the boat – maybe the highlight of the lesson for some students.

the vegetable market

bitter melon

taro

my favorite - chilies


Hoian "restaurant row" from the boat


At our evening class meeting, after the rest of the students went to the orphanage in the afternoon, the students participated in a guided meditation, which I’d like to share with you: “Traveling inspires opening up your heart. We come in contact with so much that is new and different that our senses are completely engaged. The “heart” is a metaphor for being present – using all of our senses and feeling the connection. Everything and everyone is connected, and every once in a while we have the opportunity to feel this. And the realization of connectedness is sometimes sad and heartbreaking, and sometimes joyful and inspiring. But always, it is the root of compassion and empathy.”

Students then shared what they are grateful for. Here are some of their comments that they are grateful for:
A family that cares about me
People who care about me
Family and peers, who will be there when I fall
Close friends – they have my back and I have theirs
Education
The healthy body I have
Getting to go on this trip
Pets, which teach me compassion
The sky – we all see the same sky
That I don’t have to worry about my next meal
For the care the orphanage gives the children
We can experience this together and redefine who we are and be supported by each other

No comments:

Post a Comment