Wednesday, December 9, 2009

12/10: Last shots from Jaisalmer

A couple of nights a go there was a festival of some sort across the road from the guest house where I am staying. A massive tent structure was erected. There was music, lights, dancing. The next morning, nothing was left. Well, almost nothing. Cows, dogs, crows, and a woman in a red sari were rummaging through the garbage.

Yesterday, as I was walking through the market next to my guest house, the manager spotted me and asked me if I could help out. The guest house is not listed in Lonely Planet, the bible for the majority of tourists, so the manager has to work harder recruiting guests. He meets the trains and buses and offers rickshaw rides into the city. This time, he asked me to talk to two tourists who just got off a rickshaw near the market. So I told them that it was a nice guest house - clean and really friendly workers. I found out this morning that they ended up staying at my guest house. The roof top restaurant worker told me, "One of them is American. The other is from the USA."

I went to get an ayurvedic massage a few days ago. While I was waiting for the masseur to come, they wanted to give me something to read. The massage center has descriptions of the different types of massages they do, written in many different languages. So the receptionist asked me, "What language do you speak in America?"

Beautiful roof top haveli

Meagan (pronounced MEEgan) from Australia and me. We met on the train from Delhi and became Jaisalmer buddies - camel safari, day excursions, and meals together

This dog and baby bull are buddies. I have watched them for two days now, hanging out together, even attempting a little wrestling on the bull's part

Meagan took this shot of me on the sand dunes at sunset on the camel safari

1 comment:

  1. Love the bull and dog - sounds like the name of a pub. Those Indian dogs are rangy beasts, aren't they? There was a mutt who used to laze around outside our call center, and was adopted by the workers. I picked up a box of doggie biscuits, and transferred them to a ziplock bag, and left the bag at the reception desk. I figured that every once in a while I'd slip the dog a treat. When I next got around to asking the receptionist for a biscuit we couldn't find them. It turns out the night crew had taken them with their tea. I didn't have the heart to say anything.

    ReplyDelete