Thursday, December 24, 2009

12/24 in Udaipur

Jagdish Temple in the center of the old city of Udaipur

Closer details of Jagdish Temple

I went for a long walk in the countryside today. I only saw two other foreigners along the way (both asked me to take their picture). The roads were pretty quiet. As a motorcycle with three young men drove by, I heard:
"Hello, Sir."
"How are you, Sir?"
"Okay, Sir, bye."
I only had time to wave.

After walking for about two and a half hours, with still some way to go (and a little lost), I came across the second foreigner, who was sitting with a bunch of old, Indian women shucking chick peas (I had never seen them fresh before). She asked me to take her picture with her new friends. As I started aiming the camera, the old women made sure their shawls covered their head. I started to walk again, and on very tired legs (and still a little lost), when a man on a motor scooter drove by. He asked me who my friend was (of course, all foreigners know each other). "I don't know," I replied.
"Where are you going?" he asked.
I told him my location. "I am going there too. Get on," he commanded. After about 5 minutes we were back. I am thankful for small gifts.

Mother Teresa said, "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love." And we can appreciate those small things with great love as well.

Gabi and me, the Day before Christmas in India

I have decided to leave Udaipur. I booked a night bus tomorrow evening for Ahmedabad, arriving at 5AM on the 26th. Then a night bus on the 26th for Dwarka, on the west coast of Gujarat. So the morning of the 27th I will be on the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment