Saturday, December 5, 2009

12/4: The Two Day Camel Safari

I just finished a two-day camel safari. It was definitely worth doing, though two days in a camel saddle is enough for me. I was part of a group of 4 foreigners, with Salim, our guide, and Surab, his assistant. We rode for two days through the desert, within 50 miles of the Pakistan border. The desert was very much like where I grew up, except for the sand dunes, where we made camp. The first day I was so sore that when we stopped to water the camels about ten minutes from where we were to make camp, I wouldn't get back on the camel and walked instead.

We made it to the beautiful sand dunes just before sunset. They weren't quite as comfortable to sleep on as one might imagine. And there was such a biting cold wind at night that I slept completely under my blanket, even my head, which I never do.

During the two days we passed a few villages, saw plenty of goats, sheep and cows, two wild deer, some other camels, a lot of raptor birds, a peacock, and a dog. It was very nice to be in such a quite space. The second day was much more comfortable - I asked Salim to make some rope stirrups, which really helped.

I met an old man on the second day, who I later found out was an old safari leader. He joked with me: "How are you?" he asked. "Good," I replied. He responed, "I am twice as good, for I don't have to ride on a camel all day long. After two days on a camel your banana no longer works. Your wife or girlfriend will be angry with you." Salim heard what he said and replied, "Your banana can not see the the sky. It can only see the sand."

Babu, my camel

Babu trying to smile

Me and Babu

Salim, our guide, and Surab, his assistant, making lunch. As Salim was preparing lunch, I went over to take this picture. Salim said, "Hello, my friend. Making cooking picture, because, . . . why not."

6 comments:

  1. Isn't that cool! Too bad Roger's not reading my blog, for he'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious how you came to be part of the safari? Where did you first hear of it and how did it pass that you joined?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ben, camel safaris are a common tourist thing to do in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on! You could have made up something to keep the romance going!

    ReplyDelete