Tuesday, December 29, 2009

12/27 and 12/28: Dwarka

12/27: We arrived 1.5 hours early, and I slept so well on this bus - all night long. It is high season here, and no westerners. As far as I can tell, I am the only non-Indian tourist in this town. I went to at least 10 hotels before I found one with a room available. The published rate of 250 rupees has been increased during this high season to 1500 rupees. I have no choice.

I am back in real India - no internet cafe, no signs in English, and very little English spoken. This will be a different type of travel - somewhat like my experience in Kerala in the summer of 2007 when I would go for days without seeing another Westerner.

12/28: I just passed two very large and ugly Indian transvestites, dressed in saris, jewels, and make up. Nothing much else to say. Really good night street food - masala dosas, and a snack made of spicy boiled potatoes, spicy peanuts, crunchy stuff on top, then cilantro, onions, and some sort of green sauce.

Every day there is a festival

Dwarkadish Temple in the background

Dwarka town from my walk south along the beach

Another view of Dwarka, from my walk east

Temple on the water

No comments:

Post a Comment