Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 2 in Udaipur continued

I met a man on the street yesterday. After the normal conversation of Where are you from? and What is your name? he told me, "Udaipur is the second most romantic city in Asia."
"What is the first?" I asked.
"I don't know," he replied.

I heard a story about two Buddhist monk novices. One said, "My master can fly across the land and he can walk on water. What can your master do?" The other replied, "When my master eats, he eats. When my master walks, he walks."

I am reading a simple book by Thich Nhat Hanh. He writes about mindfulness - giving full attention to that which you are doing at the moment. "Instead of always multi-tasking, we must teach ourselves to uni-task." He goes on to explain, "Mindfulness is the energy of attention. . . . It is the miracle that allows us to become fully alive in each moment."

Our bodies can be our first doorway to our soul - learning mindfulness with each action - each step, each sound, each thought can be our teacher.

View from my guest house deck

Gabi, Ian, Josi and me. We all met in Pushkar, and then again in Udaipur. This was after our farewell meal, just before Ian and Josi (from Canada) headed for Jodhpur. Hopefully I will see them again in Indonesia in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment