Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1/11 & 1/12: Last day in Diu and First in Palitana

I forgot to tell the story of my experience at the little temple in Maykal's village. I was shown around by this jovial, old man, who turned out to be the village guru. It was a very simple temple. He took me to shrine after shrine, opened the gate, and beckoned me in. In order to honor his modest temple, I took a picture at each shrine. I guess I got a little bit carried away, for at the end of the tour, he took me around the back and pointed to the cat, as if to ask, "Are you going to take a picture of it?" I knew he was a happy monk, but I didn't know he was funny too.

Sunrise (for a change) and birds on my last day in Diu

I missed my morning bus by 4 minutes (the trains may not run on time, but the buses have always been to the minute), so I found Maykal and Ashoka and took them for omelets and chai. The omelet man gave me a hug as I left. Maykal and Ashoka walked me to the bus station to see me off (I didn't know when I was leaving, so it turned out Maykal got up at 4AM and headed for the bus station to make sure he didn't miss me).

As I rode away from Diu, and drifted off into the scenery, I realized that something has happened to me. It crept upon me imperceptibly over time, but I can no longer imagine what it feels like to not feel the connection to all that's around me.
Palitana (in the foreground is a motorcycle pick-up truck)


Palitana is a dirty, dusty, stinky, noisy, congested little town. I am back in India proper, and I like it. There are too many people on the small roads. The cars, rickshaws and motor bikes drive too closely to the pedestrians. They honk their horns too much, which are too loud. There is shit everywhere. I am back to being a novelty - possibly the only non-Indian in this town. I can not tell you how many times I heard "What is your name?" as I walked through town. But that is about it for their English. Only, they are so good natured about it. Smiles and smiles. I feel connected in an odd sort of way. Diu was a vacation. It is nice to be "home" again.

A lot of sugar cane

Dying string everywhere for the upcoming Kite Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment