Friday, January 15, 2010

1/15: Kite Festival in Ahmedabad and Panaji, Goa

Last night I walked to the bridge over the river (because I really like walking on bridges). It turned out to be "the place to be" to watch the fireworks. An Indian man asked me if we have Kite Day in America. He asked about the other American festivals. I really couldn't think of that many. "In India we have a festival every two weeks." That sounds good to me.

This morning the streets were covered with pink kite strings. From the telephone and electrical wires dangled an assortment of kites. Women were squatting, scrubbing the sidewalks, trying to wash the pink dye used to dye the kite strings (I don't know why pink is so popular) from in front of their shops. At 7:30AM already the kite fliers were out. Three kids tried to get their kites in the air, surrounding a man who is flying his kite. He looked at me and smiled.

kites dangling from telephone and electrical wires
Even at the shanty town next to the river, boys are standing on the corrugated roofs, flying their kites.

This shanty town must not have as strong roofs, for the kite fliers are all standing on the ground.

It has been a nice last day in Gujarat. Now I fly south to Goa.

Two views from my balcony in Panaji, North Goa

No comments:

Post a Comment