Monday, January 11, 2010

1/11 and still in Diu: Maykal's Village Karo

So, one more day in Diu. I spent the day with Maykal and his family in their village, about an hour from Diu. We jumped on the back of a share rickshaw headed for Una. Actually it was sort of like a motorcycle pick up truck with the truck bed gate down, and we sat on the gate. I had to be careful every time we hit a bump that my feet didn't hit the ground (Maykal and his brother Ashoka didn't have to worry about this - maybe the only advantage to being so small). It dropped us in Una, where we caught another rickshaw to Karo, his village.

As soon as I arrived, the entire village showed up at his mother's house. I brought two pounds of apples and two pounds of oranges as a gift for his mother, who immediately started cutting everything up and feeding the village.

Maykal in front of his house

They live in a one room mud and brick hut, with a roof made of thatched material and plastic. They have no electricity or running water.

youngest brother, me, Ashoka, Maykal, and mother

Mother and some village boys seeing us off

Maykal's family and I want to thank everyone who contributed so generously: my mom and dad, John and Sylvia, Sheila H and her parents, Liza Z, Suzy J, Candy M, Susan G, Christy L-E, and one anonymous donor. We raised $449.

I will see Maykal one more time tonight for peanuts and roasted corn at our spot on the wharf before I head to Palitana early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment